Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a half German Shepard and half chow dog. She's 8yo

Customer Question

Hi . I have a half German Shepard and half chow dog. She's 8yo and has a big open tennis ball like lump on her cheek. And tonight it was bleeding. Can you tell me what it is?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has it been present?

Is it on the cheek proper or under the jaw or the eye?

Any pus or odor from it?

Does he seem to be all soft tissue inside or hollow?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been present for like 3 months but it's just small then started to get bigger. It's on her left cheek.yrs there's pus and odor. It a size of a golf all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ball
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know how to attach a photo nor do I know how to do what your asking for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello??!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am currently typing my reply in full and will post shortly.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience (as you can see I had quite a bit to type),

If you cannot post the photo, that is fine. I only asked for one since it would let me see exactly what you are seeing and narrow down causes for this.

Otherwise, we do have a few concerns for a lump in this area. We can see nasty tumors (squamous cell carcinomas, cancers of the salivary glands, etc), hematomas (blood blisters), soft tissue inflammation, and cysts. That said, to hear that this has pus and odor is actually most suspicious of an abscess. And with its location, we would be most suspicious of a dental abscess secondary to a tooth root infection.

With this in mind and since it has ulcerated and bled, we'd need to plan to have this checked by your vet. They can confirm it being an abscess, flush/drain it, and start antibiotics to cure it. If there is a compromised tooth, that could be removed at the same time to prevent recurrence. Otherwise, if any of those others are a concern, then your vet can sample the tissue for analysis and remove it if something more sinister is found.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doc
Can I ask someone to take the photo for me and send it to you tom?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

That would be fine and I am happy to comment on that photo when it is posted for you.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)