Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

11 year old mix breed dog, got into chicken bones started

Customer Question

11 year old mix breed dog, got into chicken bones started having diarrhea all day. this morning she has gel with blood in diarrhea. what should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat the bones?

How many did she have?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?

Any black stool?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she had whole chicken rotisserie, bones and all. within 24 hours started stool was diarrhea, had it ALL day & night. this morning 5:30 eastern standard time, came out to find 3 gel bloody stools. gums are moist, she drinks water possibly has diarrhea, tries to eat a couple of nibbles. I tried to gently press around stomach no reaction.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

If she had the whole carcass, the diarrhea isn't a surprise. Though how is that gum color?

And can you give me an estimate on how much mucusy blood was there total?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she had 3 medium piles of gel bloody stool. her gums moist pink reddish with some black dots
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

While that description doesn't really quantitate the blood lost, so that I can fully appreciate her situation, if her gums are pink then the blood loss is thankfully not severe and may even just be a secondary colitis from her eating so much chicken.

Now the dilemma with chicken bones is that in many situations they can be digested in the stomach; but sometimes we see complications with them. This can include blockages and trauma/damage to the gut. And to see blood like this does suggest at least irritation in the lower bowel from these.

Now if she only has diarrhea and no upper GI signs or discomfort, there are some steps we can take to help her. To start, we want to help bulk up her stools and get her passing any bone material at the same time. To do so, I would suggest starting her on a light diet (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg) for the next few days. These will be easy to digest and help with her diarrhea. Whichever you choose you can add a spoonful of pumpkin or all-bran as a fiber source to bulk up her stools and help push any bone material through the GI. As well, if the diarrhea is severe, we can also use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ to firm the stools.

Of course, while using the above, we need to keep a close eye on your lass. Red flags of obstruction and GI damage that we need to keep an eye out for include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood)). If you see these, then we’d want her seen urgently for an examination +/- xray to see where the bones are caught and if they can pass on their own.

Overall, we need to tread with care and be on our toes in this situation. Though given her signs, we can try the above while you monitor her over the next 48 hours. As long as she settles, we are happy. Of course, any of those signs I noted and we'd want a check with her vet urgently.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)