Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My wife left a glass of chocolate martini on a tray

Customer Question

My wife left a glass of chocolate martini on a tray unattended and our crazy 12lb dog drank maybe 3-4oz of it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She is pacing and vomited twice now she is drinking water alot but whining n having trouble walking
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She is shaky n whinny
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question about your cocktail loving girl. When did she drink this please? Other than the ataxia (difficulty walking) and whining, have you noticed any other symptoms?

I will wait to hear from you.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well she threw up 3 times now, has quieted down sum
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Stopped shivvering at the moment
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Ok - I am typing up a response now. I will have something with you in the next 5 minutes or so. If you can let me know how long it has been since she had this, that would be helpful.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Probably bout an hour now
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are two key concerns here as you are probably aware for your girl. One is the chocolate content of the drink, which while it is probably low, may potentially be enough of an issue for such a small dog. The key issue here though is the alcohol she has ingested. It sounds like you are definitely seeing the effects of this ingestion now with the ataxia, vomiting and shivering. The effects of the alcohol ingestion will worsen in the next little while and because she is only 12 pounds, you may see further symptoms including anything from further vomiting, weakness, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy, collapse and potentially even seizures and coma. Because your girl had potentially 3 - 4 ounces of this and she is only 12lbs, we could definitely see some severe symptoms here.

For this reason, I would definitely recommend that you get her down to your local ER vet right away. Here they can start her on intravenous fluids to keep her hydrated, give her an antiemetic to stop the vomiting, and give oral activated charcoal to help absorb any remaining alcohol in her system. Because the potential symptoms here are so serious and you are already seeing some marked ataxia within an hour, it is definitely better to play it safe and have her seen.

Head down to your local ER vet right now if you can. If you can't go straight away, you need to try and encourage her to drink plenty of water and keep her quiet and relaxed until you can get her seen. Best of luck with your girl. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc