Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a puppy that was just desexed. She is flipping around

Customer Question

I have a puppy that was just desexed. She is flipping around trying to get to the area because there is a burn from the clippers they used. She is 10.3 kgs and is on 1.0mg Metacam 1 tablet per day (in the morning). Can I give her a tramadol (20mg) at night to block the pain?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Burns are certainly painful. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Elle
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elle?
Customer: No she is a border collie normally active pup ( she is deaf so she probably acts up a little moreūüėõ)
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. Tramadol is being used more and more in dogs these days and it is regarded as having a very high margin of safety. It is also compatible with NSAID drugs such as metacam so you can give both together if necessary.

2. Tramadol is often given at doses of between 2 to 4 mg per kg of the dog's bodyweight every 8 to 12 hours for post-operative pain relief. But you can read in more depth how this drug is used in dogs via this link : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Elle is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of tramadol ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott