Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

I was reading about the Vizsla with a lump under s jaw. I am

Customer Question

Hi I was reading about the Vizsla with a lump under his jaw. I am 3 hours away from my parents dog but this sounds very similar to theirs situation. 4 weeks ago the lump was about pinto bean size. She says today it is ping pong ball size. They went to the vet. I believe they got antibiotics and steroids. My parents are in their 80s. What should I be looking for and what is worse case and treatment. They are constant worries. Need some suggestions. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years. I'd like to help with your question.
Although lumps under jaw can be something serious.... There are a number of things in that area including lymph nodes that can cause problems... Most of the time they are an abscess. I would need to not only feel it, but aspirate it with a needle to see what kind of cells were inside to know in this case. The fact that the veterinarian put him on antibiotics however makes me suspect that this is an abscess.
Abscesses in that area can come from a foxtail or other grass/sticker that migrated to that area from the mouth when he was chewing on grass or from bacteria introduced from the mouth by chewing on something like a stick. It should shrink with the antibiotics. If it goes away entirely, great. If it shrinks, but doesn't go away completely then I would suspect that there is a piece of grass or foxtail in there that is not letting it heal completely. In those cases we have to sedate them and explore the area surgical to find the problem.
I would give it a good 7-10 days on antibiotics and then have the veterinarian recheck it if it's not completely gone. I would expect the vet to recommend sedation for exploring the area at that time.
I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Trail. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy