Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I'm worried about my dog he is a schnauzer and has like a

Customer Question

I'm worried about my dog he is a schnauzer and has like a rash developing on his body. It's to the point where his pretty fur is falling off and you can see his skin. I've been wanting him to go to a vet but i don't even know where to start.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear your dog has this rash and hair loss.

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for the redness and often relieves irritation. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo three times weekly to control the itch with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen
- Begin a fish oil supplement with 750 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs
- If continues then please talk to your veterinarian about oral antibiotics, a blood panel to include a thyroid panel, and doing some cultures of his skin to rule out any other possible infectious causes

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening, I am online another 15 minutes to assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rex. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman