Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My small terrier is 13 yrs old. She was fine Thursday

Customer Question

My small terrier is 13 yrs old. She was fine Thursday morning but in the afternoon was limping. I Thought it was arthritis but she was also breathing very fast. She now is very unsteady & just lies around. She wont eat & I am just wetting her nose & trying to get water into her. She vomited this morning & yesterday morning and has green gunk in her eyes. I didnt see anything happen to her as she was fine when I left for work on Thursday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the terrier?
Customer: I dont think so.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear about your pets poor health status that seems to have come on all of a sudden. So here is what I gather so far. our pet has lameness, some neurological issues (perhaps with the unsteady gait you mentioned), an apparent eyes infection (green gunk from the eyes), rapid breathing rate (unsure if caused by pain or an underlying heart or lung issue) and now she is lethargic and not eating. This sounds very serious and the symptoms she has are suggestive of an upper respiratory infection as well as a lower lung infection. I would HIGHLY recommend taking her into your vet for further diagnostics. She needs a good lung auscultation (listen) and heart auscultation and potentially bloodwork to get an overall status of her health condition and to gather all the information needed to treat her appropriately.

I can tell already that she will most likely need oral and topical antibiotics, but the extent of her illness will be determined after the necessary tests are ran to ensure she doesn't need further treatment. Unfortunately this is beyond the scope of anything you can do for her at home, so taking her in to your vet is highly advised. - Dr. H