How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 23846
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Kidd My dog may have, really not sure, ingested a few

Customer Question

Kidd My dog may have, really not sure, ingested a few Wilsarin rat and mouse poison, says cellulose from corn 42.7% Can't dtermine if she id or which pesticide it means?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We just came to a friends cottage and were turning water on, our small dog, 12-14lbs was wondering around with us, when I noticed a mouse bait station and some pellets on the ground. I did not see her eat any, but she may have when I wasn't looking. I looked over the pile many times and can't tell if it was disturbed other then the mouse poop around it. I looked her over right away, could not see any residue of food or smell. I found the package and it is Wilson, wilsarin pellets. Says cellulose of corn con 42.7% but nothing else
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

According to the literature on this product "Wilsarin Rat and Mouse Bait Pellets is a corn cellulose based product that interferes wtih a rodent's digestive system, causing death by dehydration. No chance of secondary poisoning with non-target animals or humans. Kills mice and rats that are resistant to conventional rodenticides." Your dog might experience transient gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - from ingesting such an unusual "food" but she wasn't intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin

Related Dog Veterinary Questions