Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog started limping two days ago and now is finding it

Customer Question

My dog started limping two days ago and now is finding it difficult to walk and has tremors now,not walking and feels warm to touch, she is twelve years old half bishon and half boston terrior, i cant get her to drink water and she wont move around and her heart feels like it racing. i think she has a seizure in the past 3-4 months where her body seemed to spasm and then she was disoriented not knowing where she was going or doing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your 12 year old, Anna. Her difficulty walking following lameness (ataxia/"drunken sailor"?) along with a previous history of recent seizure and now tremors places her disorder in her brain. Encephalopathy (brain disorder) at her age is often due to a brain tumor although we do also see metabolic disorders that can affect the brain similarly such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys. Her vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on your dog inclduing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. If nothing untoward is found, MRI is likely to be recommended. I regret that you can't address such serious symptoms at home. It would be best to have her attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience. I admit that her vet will be considering very serious disorders that might not be able to be satisfactorily addressed and return your dog to reasonable function.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?