Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I dont know why my dog is very short of breath. And shes

Customer Question

Hi. I dont know why my dog is very short of breath. And shes shaking. Her eyes are not fully opened. And her tongue is slightly sticking out in between her teeth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** around 11 or 12 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boots?
Customer: Not that i know of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Shortness of breath is a very worrisome symptom - particularly in an 11-12 year old because it can indicate severe cardiopulmonary disorders in elderly dogs. Which breed is Boots, please?

I need you to check her vital signs for me...

1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).

2) Check her respiratory rate at rest. She should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute at rest.

3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.