Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Dot my dog is 4 years old and lately is has been trying to

Customer Question

Dot my dog is 4 years old and lately is has been trying to sniff her bottom. or she will be lying down and gets up quickly and look at her bottom
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its as if some thing has bitten her it seems to be bothering her
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your history, it sounds like Dot is trying to tell you that she may be having an issue with her anal glands. Often dogs with mild anal gland infections, impactions, or blockages will show this type of behavior or even lick/chew on or near the rectum. In fact, the quick movements (often acting as if they have been pinched) are likely the gland starting to cause discomfort due to being overfilled. Though if the gland is blocked and becomes overfilled then we can see this progress to scooting their bottoms on the floor, severe pain, and the gland can actually rupture causing a wound in the skin or we may see blood at the rectum.

Therefore, with her signs, we'd want to consider either having her seen by your local groomer or vet. Both can express the glands for her. Of course, if pus is expressed, then we will want her local vet to dispense dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) and antibiotics t settle this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?