Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My 1 yr old french bulldog has had alot of allergy issues.

Customer Question

My 1 yr old french bulldog has had alot of allergy issues. We have had him on two courses of antibiotics and now on a vet only hypoallegenic diet. We oftem give dog probiotic also. This week his tummy has flared again with a particular ring lesion. We are thinking that its ringworm. What do you think?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Napoleon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Napoleon?
Customer: History of allergy to red meat. On a hypoallergic diet
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Photo attached
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry Napoleon is experiencing allergic skin disease. I wish I could sugarcoat this but this is going to be a life-long issue for him. There is no way around this fact. Many of our Frenchies have BOTH food allergy and atopic dermatitis (environmental allergies).

As far as the lesion on his stomach, this looks more like a collarette lesion, which is bacterial. And, so frustrating since he just came off antibiotics. However, it would not be wrong for your vet to do a ringworm culture to ensure this is not ringworm. As well your vet should do a skin scraping to look for mites (demodex, sarcoptes) and one for cytology to look at the type of bacterial and screen for yeast infection.

So, for the shorter term he probably needs to go back on antibiotics again. You should continue your bathing with the medicated shampoo prescribed by your vet (hopefully this was prescribed) such as Malaseb on a once or twice weekly basis.

And, you need to have a longer term discuss of strategy with your vet about what the next step is. If your vet seems confused about this, then because this is a long-term problem you should ask for a referral to see a dermatologist. My usual strategy (I work with a LOT of dermatological challenge cases) is to discuss if you would like to do some allergy screening to know what environmental items he may be allergic to which can be done via intradermal testing and/or serum/blood testing. With that information then you will know if you should consider allergy shots (or the newer oral drops) to desensitize him to what he is allergic to. This is a 9-10 month desensitization process; it works in 80-85% of patients with a good allergy screening company. And I've had a few with the oral drops respond even faster. During that time, though, he will continue to have skin eruptions that need to be treated.

Or, if you do not want to do allergy shots (or oral drops) then you can discuss using an oral long-term product such as Apoquel or Atopica (Cycolsoporine) on a daily basis. Both work well. Both require some blood monitoring over time.

I also want to ensure you already have him on a daily high quality omega-3 fatty acid supplement; if not then discuss what one your vet would recommend as this can decrease itching naturally over time.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
Hi Louise,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Napoleon. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey