How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Matt Your Own Question
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5774
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Matt is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 7-8lb. dachshound ate approx. 9 to 110z of baking choc.

Customer Question

My 7-8lb. dachshound ate approx. 9 to 110z of baking choc. What can we do ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long ago did Paisley ingest the baking chocolate?

Do you have any 3% hydrogen peroxide at home?

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 8 months ago.

Baking chocolate is much more toxic to dogs then milk chocolate. For example only about 0.4 ounces can be quite toxic to a 10 pound dog. At this point, Paisley did ingest a very toxic amount of baking chocolate therefore of she has ingested the chocolate within the last 2 hours we need to induce vomiting as quickly as possible to try to get the chocolate back out.

The safest way to induce vomiting at home would be to give her 3% hydrogen peroxide orally. The dose for her size is 1 teaspoon or 5 cc. I would use an oral syringe or small spoon to get her to swallow the peroxide. Most dogs will vomit within 10-15 minutes after ingesting the peroxide. If she does not then you can give her a second dose. If you are not seeing any vomiting, then I would take her to an emergency vet right away. The emergency vet can give her an IV injection to induce vomiting quickly.

If she does vomit at home, then her risks should be lower though I would honestly still recommend taking her to an emergency vet to have them give her a dose of activated charcoal which can help absorb some of the toxin.

The symptoms of chocolate toxicity are vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, increased heart rate, and hyperactivity. The amount that she ingested could definitely cause this symptoms and unfortunately if she is left untreated could be life-threatening since she is so little.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 8 months ago.

I am not sure if you are able to see my responses, though if you do have any more questions please feel free to reply.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 8 months ago.
Hi Leah,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Paisley. How is everything going?
Dr. Matt