Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Our dog has a rash the size of a silver dollar on the inside

Customer Question

our dog has a rash the size of a silver dollar on the inside of his ear
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kai, 15 month great dane
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kai?
Customer: there is some smell but it is normal for his ears to small some
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the rash bothering her?

2- Can you describe the appearance of the rash or post a pic on this thread?

3- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It doesn't seem to bother him. This is the first time I have noticed it which means less than 2 weeks. I have attached a picture.

Thank you for the picture. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Friend, the lesion looks like ringworm. Less likely this could be a localized bacterial infection. Until proven otherwise I would treat this as ringworm. You need to wear gloves as this is contagious to humans.

I would recommend having family vet take a fungal culture to rule out ringworm. If you can not have him checked by a veterinarian this is what you can try:

1- Pick up in your local pharmacy hibiclens antimicrobial soap. Wash area (wear gloves) with this soap 1-2 times a day.

2- Once you wash area apply topical miconazole to the area. You can buy miconazole over the counter in your local pharmacy.

Note: Feel free to bath him completely at least once with Hibiclens to flush the hair follicles. Clean and wash all of his bedding.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter