Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

RE: 7 year old, pet male 9 lb toy poodle 1. Some unusual

Customer Question

RE: 7 year old, pet male 9 lb toy poodle
1. Some unusual reactions: shaking, legs restricted held close to body, and unable to walk
2. I hold him close so he will not fall down . . .unable to stand, walk or show normal coordination
3. This happened about a year ago and has continued every few months. Today, is the most recent; however, it follows another episode from 2 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this....are you available for chat?

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

Chatting online here?

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

I need to ask you some questions in order to be bale to help you. Can you answer some questions?

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

to be able to help you...

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

Are you there?

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

This is DRB and I would like to help you. Are you there?

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

So since I am not getting a response from you, I am going to opt out and allow another expert to help you.....Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures) which are described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.). Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Bodie's vet asked you to mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed because the vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Bodie should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Bodie suffer another event within 24 hours of another clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Those arising after 6 years of age usually are due to brain tumor. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.