Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

Is a dog that has just been given the distemper and

Customer Question

Is a dog that has just been given the distemper and bordadella vaccine contagious to other dogs that are not up to date with their shots?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short.I can answer your question about vaccinations.

So the way vaccines work is that when your pet is inoculated with a vaccine it causes that pet to form a humoral immune response against that vaccination (antigen). Your pet will form antibodies, usually within 7 days, that will protect her from getting sick if exposed to the antigen again in the future. Pets who are recently vaccinated are not considered infective because even though they are considered modified live vaccines (MLV), they do not typically cause your pet to become ill. In fact, the dose is so low that is should not cause illness to your pet, which can then be spread to other pets. The bordetella vaccine is available as an intranasal vaccine and also as an injectable vaccines. The intranasal vaccine antigen does have the potential to become airborne in the nasal secretions, but there is no current evidence or cases where pets have actually contracted kennel cough from a pet who was recently vaccinated, because the antigen is quite low and if anything the other pets will gain a slight immunity to the antigen.

Would you like to continue the conversation?

- Dr. H

If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please don't forget to leave me a rating by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button at the top of the page as this is how I am credited with assisting you today. Thanks for your feedback and cooperation and have a good night.

Best regards

Dr. H

Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?