Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Slimy foam with some blood clots. Changed s food that day

Customer Question

White slimy foam with some blood clots. Changed his food that day and he threw up enormous amounts during the night. No food during the day. Gave him water and he immediately threw it up. Covered him and he isn't moving around much. Standard poodle.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the standard poodle?
Customer: Can't see his vet til tomorrow morning
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy who has been vomiting and unwell this evening. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Your Poodle boy's symptoms this evening are definitely a concern and the vomiting with blood clots could be a sign of a gastrointestinal bleed here. Possible causes for his symptoms include anything from a gastric ulcer, an acute gastroenteritis, a toxicity or poisoning, or potentially even an internal organ issue or blood clotting issue (to name a few possible causes here). You are going to need to continue to keep a very close eye on your boy overnight if you can. If he can't keep water down, then the concern is he will very quickly become dehydrated which will become the main issue here. If that is the case, then you will definitely need to get him straight down to your local ER vet now if you can.

Hopefully his vomiting has settled and he is able to keep water down now. Continue to with hold his food until the morning, but do encourage him to drink now. For now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Continue to keep him rested and quiet. Please also keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If your boy is unable to keep water down, or if any of the parameters above aren't right, you will definitely need to get him to your local ER vet now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc