Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

Our small older dog has seizures. My concern is our other

Customer Question

Our small older dog has seizures. My concern is our other dog grabs her by the neck and drages her and it very hard to get her to release. If no one is near enough to stop this , will she do real harm??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a stressful time with your pups. I will do my best to help.

I would certainly be concerned that this behavior could cause harm if left unchecked. Obviously since I haven't seen it myself, I don't know how aggressive this action is or how forceful, but I am concerned that your worries are justified. When dogs are ill or acting "off", other dogs can become agitated by this and behave in ways that they wouldn't normally behave - for instance, grabbing, pulling, or even attacking the dog that is acting oddly. Certainly if Peanut is in the midst of a seizure, she cannot escape or defend herself if this behavior gets out of hand. It's most important to work with your vet on preventing these seizures as much as possible - the fewer she has, the less chance that there will be a real issue. I would also suggest doing everything that you can to prevent this sequence of events from occurring. It worries me that you say she won't release, which indicates that there's a good bit of force being applied to Peanut.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)