Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My year old shepher mix just had her spay done and has been

Customer Question

Hi! My year old shepher mix just had her spay done and has been prescribed metacam for the pain but she is really hurting- she barely stretched in the car and howled in agony, when normally she doesn't ever cry. I know anaesthesia can make them weird and wonky and whiny but this was serious pain. I am wondering if metacam is enough for pain or if she can take trsmadol with it. Seems like metacam is more like a Tylenol level pain reliever and not strong enough for after surgery.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she just turned a year old and is 46 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: She is a rescue, but we have had her for three and a half months- enough to know how she normally behaves.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.
If she is painful she can definitely have some tramadol in addition to her metacam.
A spay is a major surgery. We often consider it routine, but it is a major procedure. Usually they are not quiet that painful afterwards however. Take a look at her gums and make sure that they are pink, look at her incision and make sure it looks good with no discharge. If everything looks good, go ahead and give her the metacam and tramadol and just keep an eye on her tonight. She should settle down, be more comfortable and even be willing to eat a little after the medications have time to take effect.
I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.