Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My puppy is drinking water, not eating, I make rice/chicken

Customer Question

My puppy is drinking water, not eating, I make rice/chicken for her she just won't eat, no fever, gums and tongue is a healthy pink. Switched her water to pedilyte, had some soft stools but no blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Karma
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Karma?
Customer: She's had two puppy shots, and is IP to date on eormings
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Customer: Is up to date
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To summarize, Karma has been anorexic - for how long, please? - and stools have been soft - for how long, please? In most cases I'm going to presumptively worm such a patient with fenbendazole (Panacur) daily for 7 consecutive days regardless of the results of a fecal ova and parasite exam. Fenbendazole is broad spectrum against all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia. Presumptive treatment for coccidia with 1-4 days of ponazuril would be prudent at well. Karma should be force-fed at this time with a puppy food gruel administered by a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. If treatment in this manner weren't helpful, diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests are indicated in case uncommon birth defects are present or occult infection exists.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.