Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Dog can't stand up. Lays on it's side and is moving as if

Customer Question

Dog can't stand up. Lays on it's side and is moving as if walking.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 8 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear that your pet Grawly is having what sounds like seizure activity.

Is he still doing this right now? Please try and record the event if possible on your phone to show the vet later.

Can you look at his eye pupils are they twitching back and forth?

How long has he been doing this?

- Dr. H

If you are not able to record the event that is ok. Does your pet meet the seizure criteria of paddling, eyes twitching, sometimes loss of urination and feces, unaware of surroundings during the event, post-seizure pets will often have a drunken walk and are disoriented for 30 mins-1 hr as well. But the laying on the side and moving as if he is walking is a classic paddling motion that is seen with seizures.

Seizures in pets can be termed as idiopathic (most common cause where no underlying cause is found), or they can be related to a brain lesion (rule out with MRI or CT). It is important to get your pet some baseline bloodwork to rule out other less common metabolic reasons for seizures in dogs right away. Then once bloodwork has been reviewed the decision will be made whether this event meets the criteria to recommend starting your pet on anti-seizure medication to help manage his condition. Here is the criteria that every vet goes by:

Get pet started on anti-seizure medication if any of the following conditions applies:

1) Seizure lasted more than 2-3 minutes

2) More than 1 seizure occurs in a 30 day time frame

Seizures that meet this criteria putt he pet at risk for permanent brain damage and are considered uncontrolled seizures activity, which deems the pet a candidate for starting anti-seizure medication.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this time or any questions so far?

- Dr. H

Hello this is Dr. H checking in again to make sure you received by response yesterday. If the information proved helpful to you so that you can make the best decision moving forward for your pet, I would ask that you please provide a rating for the reply that I gave.

You can easily rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button at the top of the page. This is how I am credited with assisting people on the site and by providing a good service. I appreciate your feedback. Take care and wish you and your pet well moving forward with his care.

Best regards,

Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about Grawly. How is everything going?
Drhollowayvet