Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

I have a three year old Shitz tsu and last 3 months she has

Customer Question

I have a three year old Shitz tsu and for the last 3 months she has had congestion in her head and really nowhere else we have been to the vet in fact two different vets she had this issue last year but not as bad the vets treat her with steroids and antibiotics which help awhile, but it comes right back. It is not reverse sneezing. She acts as if she can only breathe thru her nose and sometimes becomes anxious when she is unable to breathe thru the nose and will startle and run. Showing fear it is a sad thing I have been giving her Claritan redi tabs once a day this week her nose runs her eyes are glassy, I feel sure it is allergies but what can be done long term for this baby, I do not feel the vets I have used know Shitz Tzu's , please help us Her noises are keeping her from sleeping well
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It does appear that her nasal passages are becoming inflamed most likely due to an allergic reaction as opposed to an infection. Many Brachycephalic like Zoe dogs will have this type of trouble and there are ways to help her such as giving her Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs when she is having an episode. There is also a chance that there could be a sinus infection that is very difficult to treat because the antibiotics cannot get into the sinuses well enough to kill off the organisms. Steroid treatment was useful but only works short term. A baby nebulizer available at the pharmacy may help Zoe past this also.

Try the Benadryl which may work better than the Claritin and see if that will help sweet Zoe. If it does not, further diagnostics should be performed such as xrays and other testing to rule out other issues such as a collapsing trachea and adhesions in her nasal cavity.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has been X-rayed as I said in my statement and no pneumonia or active disease was found
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not satisfied with this service and request no further charges to my credit card. What doesn't make sense to me is how you get by with this I could be chatting with another nurse such as myself benedryl has been tried also to no avail trachea is not collapsed. I have made a mistake coming here
I am so sorry that you are not happy. I was only trying to give you some options for your sweet girl. I know this is hard to see her uncomfortable and if this is allergic, only antihistamines or steroids wil be effective. I would recommend seeking a specialist for your girl just to rule out other issues. I wish I could be more help to you but without further diagnostics, it is hard for me to give you a complete answer. We truly wanted to help but I understand your frustration. I hope your girl feels better soon!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not interested in this and do not feel I got any different answer not satisfied

I am so sorry...just trying to help...

Have a great day!