Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a Schnauzer who is about 12 years old and night

Customer Question

I have a Schnauzer who is about 12 years old and night before last he had a seizure, then last night he had 4 more, he seems disoriented an lost, I let him our and I had to go find him to get him back in the house, could he of eaten something bad or gotten into some kind of poison, is this a normal thing to happen. I had a little toy puddle once and he was on medication for seizures for about 10 year, but I wasn't aware that Schnauzer had them as well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: from what I know just the same kinds of things he always does, nothing out of the usual
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He has had three sist's removed in the last 3 years by out local Veterinarian, but that didn't seem to bother him at all. He did belong to my Mother and she passed away about 11/2 years ago that was hard on him but the family has all rallied around and he is spoiled rotten by everyone
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

A toxic ingestion is always a consideration but should cause a lasting central nervous system disorder rather than transient seizures which are coming and going. This is called "clustering" and it can presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. Brain tumor is the most common cause of seizures arising at his age. His vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on your dog. He can't be allowed to continue seizuring in that manner. Dogs can be lost during clustering or status epilepticus.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?