Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

There are no signs yet but I'm concerned my dog just ate a

Customer Question

there are no signs yet but I'm concerned my dog just ate a loquat fruit. I think there was only one seed. Will this harm him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He is 8 years old and 90lbs
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat it?

Can you confirm if he has had any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He ate the one fruit about 10:00am no retching, gagging lip licking or vomiting yet. He is ok with a belly rub and his gums look ok
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that he hasn't any of those red flag signs that I asked about and that he is comfortable. Though I would note that when our dogs eat these kinds of items, we do always need to tread with care. The fruit is safe (though some dogs may have GI upset form eating it) but the dilemma is that pit. Since he is a larger sized dog, he likely will pass this but we do sometimes see overly large pits in this fruit and therefore they always carry the risk of blockage.

That said, since he is showing no adverse signs, we can initiate supportive care while monitoring to give him the best chance of passing this without bother.In regards ***** ***** options, we can take a few steps to reduce any damage caused by this moving through the GI. We can start by feeding him a "Vaseline sandwich." This will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. And that Vaseline will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage. To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces.

Afterwards, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any pit to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this pit, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that he has passed this without bother. Though any of those adverse signs I noted and we’d be concerned of a blockage and would want to have him seen urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank You for the advice. I will get started on the suggestions right away.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Perfect and hopefully with our "encouragement" we can get this passed without any bother. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet