Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He's lethargic and s gums are. Shallow breathing, faint

Customer Question

He's lethargic and his gums are white. Shallow breathing, faint heart beat. Can't stand anymore. Was perfectly fine four hours ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruiser and four months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruiser?
Customer: Won't eat, just wants to sleep...I'm very worried
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: Ok how long will that take
JA: I'm trying to find the right Veterinarian for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Ok
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Customer: I'm afraid he's gonna die in my son's arms
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Please consider Bruiser's white gums an emergency and have him attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. Bruiser is profoundly anemic. There are quite a few possible causes of such anemia including the ingestion of an anticoagulant rodenticide, trauma to his liver or spleen, and immune mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) but most important is having Bruiser's hematocrit (red blood cell count) checked promptly to see if he requires correction of hypovolemia (low blood volume) by intravenous fluids and a blood transfusion at this time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish but I'd rather you were on your way to the vet.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No point he just died

My condolences for your loss of Bruiser. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you anyways, I'm gonna go bury my son's dog now. Goodbye

You're welcome. A sad day for all.