Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I've just been told my Yorkie has some blood in a poo

Customer Question

Hi I've just been told my Yorkie has some blood in a poo sample. His red blood count has been between 22% and 24% but although on steroids he it is not going up. I'm just wondering what the next best procedure would be. he is eating fine he just gets more tired.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hi name is ***** ***** he is 10 years old. They first thought he maybe attacking his red blood cells now they think he may have a slight bleed internally. he had had x rays which showed nothing and a camera through his mouth and nothing. he is a mystery.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: when it first began we he had a very watery mouth, it kept dripping for two days then an upset stomach then was sick, that's when we first took him to the vet . He had a sickness injection then he seemed to pick up, the a few weeks later all the lethargy started and then when we found out his red cells are low.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Do you know if there is evidence that his red blood cells (RBC's) are regenerating? This is usually identified by a test called a reticulocyte count.

Has he had an ultrasound of his abdomen?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.