Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog. She is panting, shivering and she gets panicky. She

Customer Question

My dog. She is panting, shivering and she gets panicky. She won't drink water. Sometimes she yelped if you try to move her but I can't find any sore spots
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's a Chihuahua mix about 8 yrs old. She's not getting excited about the normal things such as getting a treat. She wouldn't eat the one I gave her this morning after she went out
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is she walking any different?

4- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

5- Did she get into anything?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It just started last night. She seemed fine around 730 last night. Couple hours later, my 14 yr old son was loving on her and she suddenly yelped and ran to my daughter. She's been this way since. He says he didn't do anything to her. She was lying on the couch facing him and he went to hug her.
No medical conditions other than an allergy to corn.
She's not really walking any different. Her back seems arched a little when she walks. She's keeping her ears down and her tail is staying down. Her tail is usually curled up

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the symptoms that you are describing are consistent with being in pain as you may already know. Having an arch back suggest that she has back pain likely as a result of a pinched nerve as a result of a bulging disc or a pulled muscle. Less likely we can sometimes see similar symptoms with abdominal pain.

In this case, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having her checked this morning by family veterinarian. If attending veterinarian confirms back pain they will start her on prescription anti inflammatory medication and pain killers. Untreated this can get worst and even lead to paralysis, for this reason it is important to have her treated as soon as possible. Do Not give over the counter pain killers, most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use. In the meantime, limit physical activity to a short walk to urinate and defecate.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter