Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog was spayed last Tuesday. She wasnt recovering well

Customer Question

My dog was spayed last Tuesday. She wasnt recovering well kept vomitting white stuff everybhour after 7. I took her back to the Vet, they opened her surgery wound and the doc said i believe something inside was hyperacrive causing cut off of her blood supply they had to remove part of the damaged area and sew it back together.
I brought her back home Wednesday and through Saturday she had a loss of appetite but did make an effort to eat and drink. She vomitted twice.
I took her back to the vet. They gave her an injection to help with the vomitting to allow her time to eat. It helped her for a day then she had a loss of appetite and kept tryin.
Now she is doing the same sound where it sounds like she wants to vommit, but nothing comes out. Its like she keeps it in her mouth. She paces around when shes done and drinks water.
I am not sure if this is something normal since the surgery. Does she have a sensitive stomach now? Is there still something wrong with her from the surgery?
I am at a loss i dont know what else to do and i dont have the money to keep paying vet fees to figure out what is wrong. I just want her to feel better.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did they only give one injection of Cerenia?

What oral treatments do they have her on at home?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
On the day of spayed she also got her rabies and i think parvel vaccines. When i took her back Wednesday they check her temperature and the stick had blood. They did a parvel test it came out negative then they kept her and proceeded to do the second surgery.On saturday she got one injection of cerrenia, and a prescription for 4 tablets which i have not been able to fill.She can keep water down her gums seem normal pink and moist, but i cant check on her belly since i am at work right now until 430.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Now based on her signs and the fact she was vaccinated at the same time she underwent surgery (a lot for her immune system to handle), I would be concerned that this may have allowed an opportunistic infection to gain a foothold (especially if they 2nd surgery didn’t address and sort out her signs).

Now we do want to fill that prescription if it is for oral Cerenia. This is because that injection she had only lasts 24 hours (which is why she relapsed). Otherwise, if there is any delay in getting that, you could try her with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, if she hasn’t settled since the second surgery, then secondary infections causing her signs would a top concern here. Therefore, we’d want to pick up those tablets and if they are for nausea, they should be used. Otherwise, we can try to soothe her on the OTC antacids. If she settles with these, we are happy and can monitor her appetite and hydration. But if she doesn’t settle and if her vets do not have a definitive answer to her persisting signs, we may need to think about a second opinion to ensure we get to the root of this and get her back feeling like herself as quickly as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Dr. B i will try the alternatives to the Cerenia with OTC and will continue monitor her. I just got home and did touch her belly in different areas. It did feel normal and she didnt feel any discomfort or pain.I appreciate your detailed response and guidance as i try to get Sammie back ti her fun and spunky self.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is my first time using this service, can i follow up in a few days or would i need to pay fees again?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

I am very glad to hear that her belly is nice and normal. So, do try the above to see if we can get her wee stomach settled. As well, you absolutely can send me an update in a few days. I will even send a wee note as well so we can make sure to touch base. And there is only the one charge for our conversation, though I be grateful you did leave a rating/feedback (with the stars on your page) as that is how I am credited for my assistance. It won't close the question and again we can touch base in a few days to see how Sammie is doing.

All the best,

Dr. B.