Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

We have mix husky wolf that shows a significant propensity

Customer Question

we have mix husky wolf that shows a significant propensity to diarrhea, vomiting and generally sensitivity to food (we do not always know what are the triggers . he seems quite lethargic at time.any idea on how to feed him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your boy Eska . Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about his issues:

- Has your local vet done any blood testing to rule out a pancreatic issue? Have they done a food elimination trial?
- If your boy up to date with deworming medication?
- Have you noticed any weight loss or other symptoms?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
on the contrary he seems quite fat, no pancreatic test nor deworming medication that i know of
last week some black blood appeared in the stools only once though.
s there a specific diet for these dogs?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me. It really depends on the underlying cause of Eska's issue. Ideally, a full veterinary exam and diagnostics would be run to try and rule out some possible causes for these symptoms which could include anything from a chronic bacterial infection (such as salmonella or camylobacter), intestinal worms, inflammatory bowel disease, a pancreatic or liver issue, or a dietary allergy (to name a few possible causes). If you don't want to visit, or can't visit your local vet any time soon, then there are a couple of things you can try with your boy. If you can get your boy seen tomorrow or early next week, also take in a fresh fecal sample as this can be sent in to the lab to rule out an infectious cause.

First and foremost, you definitely need to make sure your boy is up to date with deworming medication. This involves giving him an appropriate all-wormer every 3 months. Drontal, Milbemax or Panacur are all ideal for this and are available from your local vet hospital. You will need to have an accurate weight for your boy in order to get the right dose, so you get a clear idea of his weight before you purchase this. These products generally require retreatment every 3 months. This will be very important for your boy given the symptoms you have been seeing.

You could also running a 'food elimination trial' from home to help rule a food allergy in or out. This is best done with a veterinary hydrolyzed diet available from your local vet hospital. If you don't want to use one of these diets, then you need to use a novel protein diet. These are diets that contain only one key protein source and a protein your boy has never had. A few common examples are venison and potato, or duck and tapioca. Make sure you use a diet that has been formulated for this process. The key is to feed a diet that either has a 'novel' new protein your animal has never been exposed to (which means he won't have a reaction to it as his immune system has never encountered it before, or a hydrolysed diet with the protein source has been cut very small that the immune system can't recognise it. Examples include Hill's z/d, Royal Canin Ultamino and Nestle Purina HA for hydrolysed diets, and Hill's d/d for novel protein diets. Your local pet store may be able to help you find an appropriate novel protein diet. The key is that the protein has to be something your boy has never had before. From here - you feed this diet for 3 - 4 weeks with NO other treats, food, scraps, rewards, edible chews or toys. This is very important - he must only be fed the elimination diet. If this is a true gastrointestinal food allergy, then you would likely see an improvement within 2 - 3 weeks. If not - then you can pretty safely rule out a food allergy.

This would be the best place to start for Eska. While the chicken and rice is fine short term (2 - 3 days), mid to long term this is too unbalanced and could cause a number of nutritional deficiencies. Do stick with a commercial diet if you can, and try one of those mentioned above. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Eska. How is everything going?
Pet Doc