How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6677
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I changed my dogs food to wet 2 days ago. They both have

Customer Question

I changed my dogs food to wet 2 days ago. They both have diarrhea but one of them is throwing up what seems to be stomach fluid. She looks pretty sick with her tail down. Is there anything I should do or be concerned about?!
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your two dogs who seem to have some gastroenteritis after changing their diet. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. While there are a number of things that could be going on here, given both dogs seem to be affected here, it is more than likely this is due to the sudden diet change, however we also have to consider an infectious gastroenteritis due to something else they have come in to contact with, intestinal worms, or even a toxicity. You will need to continue to keep a close eye on both dogs, but especially Stella given her age and symptoms. Encourage both dogs to drink and hopefully they are drinking with no issue. If Stella can't keep water down, then there is the concern she could quickly become dehydrated, so if this is the case, play it safe and get her seen tonight. For now, with hold both dog's food until the morning. You may be best to put them on a very bland food for a few days. Cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is ideal for this, and very gentle on the stomach. After 2 - 3 days on that, you can slowly transition them on to the wet food again (over a 7 day period if you can).

For Stella - given her vomiting you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Please keep an eye on Stella's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with both dogs, but definitely pay closer attention to Stella right now as it sounds like she is quite lethargic. If the parameters above aren't right in either dog - play it safe and get them checked over by your local ER vet tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Perfect thanks so much!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should go see a vet if she isn't better in a certain time span?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

See how she goes tonight. If the parameters mentioned above aren't right, or if the vomiting continues, then you will need to get her seen tonight. If she is ok tonight and the vomiting settles, then see how both dogs go tomorrow. If they are still lethargic and have diarrhea, then you would be best to get them both down to your regular vet tomorrow with a fresh fecal sample from each (before the long weekend).

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi Alessia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Stella. How is everything going?
Pet Doc