Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has been in labor since 6:30 pm. This is her second

Customer Question

my dog has been in labor since 6:30 pm. This is her second litter. Membranes have been visible since 8pm. She has just thrown up for the third time. My car is in shop. No tranp. Is there anything I can do for her? It is now 12:11. I have called my local vet twice since 8pm on his emerg. number... no callback. Please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation but, since this is Mica's second litter, it is unlikely that she would have trouble. The vomiting is not unusual due to the hormonal changes going on. The rule of thumb is that if Mica is pushing NON STOP for more than 1 hr, then there is a problem that you will need to call around for a friend to take you and Mica to the ER vet since this may indicate that a puppy is stuck. If MIca is pushing and then stops and relaxes and then starts pushing again, this is all very normal. YOu will have to be patient and wait until her system is ready to release the puppies. It is not unusual for delivery to take 24 hrs. I know it is hard to wait and watch but, like I said, if Mica is not pushing NON STOP for more than 1 hr, this is still normal and safe for her and the puppies.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****