Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog is also getting very fidgety and restless...he is

Customer Question

Hey, my dog is also getting very fidgety and restless...he is hyperventilating on and off and keeps trying to cuddle up next to me and of course I let him but than he will move and get fidgety and than move back to jumping on me and trying to be near me.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Cap has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in some dogs because of their conformation. Since Cap does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain which is being shown by his odd behavior and hyperventilating. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when he jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Cap is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****