Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

Mistakenly I gave my 12 lb maltese a 12.5 miligram dose of

Customer Question

Mistakenly I gave my 12 lb maltese a 12.5 miligram dose of doxycline succinate. I know it's terrible for dogs. What should I do.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I usually give my dog 1mg per/lb of body weight when we take long car rides. This was about 5 hours ago. He seems perfectly fine but I just noticed I gave him the wrong medicine and I'm starting to get nervous. Would he have notice any effects instantly? Or is it possible it has already gone through his system
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Just to clarify - did you give the medication 12.5 mg of doxylamine succinate or doxycycline to your maltese?

What medication do you normally give to him for car rides?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I usually give him diphenhydramine (benedry) at 1mg per lb of body weight. By mistake I gave him 12.5 mg of doxylamine succinate. He seems perfectly fine, wanting to play fetch 5 hours later, but am I safe to assume that this one time mistake he will be OK and has passed through his system ? Or... Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you for the additional information.

I have good news for you! Doxylamine succinate is not commonly used in dogs though this medication is safe at a dose of 4-6mg/kg or 2-3 mg per pound. This means that a dose of 1 mg per pound is well below the normal dose and is incredibly safe. I honestly would not have expected him to have any side effects. This medication can be given 3-4 times a day in dogs therefore should be out of his system after 6-8 hours at the longest. Rest easy tonight - you did not harm him at all.

Hope this helps - please feel free to reply if needed. Thank you for the question!