Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

My dog just accidentally ate my other dog's medication. He

Customer Question

My dog just accidentally ate my other dog's medication. He is 55 pounds and he had 20mg Laxis, 25mg Spironolact, 30mg Diltiazem, 10mg enalapril, and 5 mg Vetmedin. He is not showing any symptoms should I do anything?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mitch
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mitch?
Customer: No he is otherwise healthy
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 7 months ago.

Hello Mitch - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long ago did he ingest all of the medications?

Is he on any medications himself?

Does he have any medical disorders that I need to know about?

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 7 months ago.

I have good news for you. All of the doses of the medications should be quite safe for him. Here is a list of the drugs that he ingested and the normal dose for a dog his size.

Lasix - This medication has a wide range of safety. The dose can range from 1-4 mg per pound therefore at 20 mg it is well below his full dose.

Diltiazem - The dose is 0.5 mg/pound - a dose of 30 mg is right at the normal dose for him.

Enalapril - Dose is 0.25 mg/pound which means his dose would be about 13 -14 mg.

Vetmedin - Dose is 0.23 mg/pound which means his dose would be about 12 mg.

Spironolactone - Dose is 1 mg per pound which means his does would be 55 mg. A 25 mg tablet is very safe

At this point, the most common side effects from this medications would be increased urination tonight, possibly vomiting and diarrhea, though other then that I would not expect any toxic nor serious side effects at all.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you for the question.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Matt