Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Looking vet. I'm a chiropractor and wanted to know if anyone

Customer Question

Looking for holistic vet.
I'm a chiropractor and wanted to know if anyone has had luck treating a hyper parathyroid problem holistically?
We believe my female dog has a tumor.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Cookie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am sorry that you did not get help from an expert before now; I just came online and saw your question.

Hyperparathyroidism is rare in dogs; what makes you think this is what she has? I have seen it only once or twice in over 30 years. Has she had blood tests to confirm high calcium and parathyroid hormone levels?

Since I can't see and examine her, the more information you send me the more I can be of help. Rebecca

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
high calcium. 11-18
3 different tests
Excessive thirstOn steroids now to lower.
Cancer and all other possibilities have been ruled outWaiting 10 days for special blood test to confirm and I may get a cat scan tomorrow
To confirmA friend of a friend will perform. The ct scan for free. The worry is the longer I wait the kidneys may Calcify and then she's a done. Any suggestions
Ct of kidney as well to see their condition?Holistic remedies for Tumor?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ct of parathyroid ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

Sorry I was away from the computer.

So kidney disease, lymphoma have been ruled out? Has a PTH (parathyroid hormone) level been done? If it is high, then this probably is hyperparathyroidism, and I would ultrasound the parathyroid glands to see if one of them is enlarged. I suppose CT or MRI might help, but ultrasound is the usual way to evaluate the parathyroids, and figure out which one is enlarged and the usual treatment is surgical removal.

I checked with Dr. Susan Wynn, the most knowledgeable person I know for alternative and complementary veterinary medicine and she says there is no reliable alternative treatment for hyperparathyroidism. She said " I would remove that thing before organs start calcifying."

Let me know what else I can answer and research for you. Rebecca