Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog stops to eat tall grass throughout our walks, all the

Customer Question

My dog stops to eat tall grass throughout our walks, all the time, every day. Why does he need to eat grass?
Thanks
Rich
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Eating of grass can be a symptom of stomach upset so keep that in mind if this happens everywhere you go.

For some dogs, they just like the taste, but heavy grass eating would indicate stomach upset.

You might want to give the pup a Pepcid AC in the morning before walking him and give it time to settle in and see if the same problem persists. I will direct you to a site for dosing.

Other dogs eat it due to anxiety , so if your dog is not normally an outgoing dog with people and other dogs then that may be the cause or if your pup is a bit nervous around the goings on where you walk him then I would take a closer look at behavioral problems.

pepcid dosing http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DakotaSouthFive