Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Can a puppy nurse off a that is being giver tramadol How

Customer Question

can a puppy nurse off a bitch that is being giver tramadol
How long should the bitch be off tramadol before the puppies can nurse?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

All of these medications will go through the milk to the puppies and the time that this will be out of Teazle's system is 4-5 days. It is safer for the puppies to wait until the Tramadol is out of the system. I am hoping that the puppies did get Colostrum right after delivery before the Tramadol was given. In humans, this can be given to mothers during breast feeding because so little does get to the infant so if the puppies had been nursing when the dam was on Tramadol, this may be safe for them. You will have ot watch for the puppies being too sleepy since you do not know how much the puppies would have gotten while breast feeding.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Teazle got one and a half 50 mg tablets last dose was 11 hours ago, would it be ok for the puppy to nurse a little but still supplement with puppy formula

Yes, since this has been so long ago, the amount of Tramadol that will get through the milk will be small and most likely will not cause problems for your puppies. I would certainly monitor the puppies for sleepiness that appears extreme but I doubt this will be a problem. The safest is to wait but since it can be given while breast feeding, your puppies will probably do well.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, whilst the pup had been passing motions after feeds upon stimulation - it has not done so for the past 10 hours - advice would be appreciated.

Are you saying that the puppy have not passed stool for 10 hrs even with stimulations? If this is true, add a few drops of vegetable oil to his milk or by mouth to help the stool slide through. Do this every 4-6 hrs.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** passing urine properly every feeding just not stools

This is not unusual and the vegetable oil will really help. It is a good sign that urine is passing but don't let this go on too long...if there has not been a stool for 1-2 days, have your vet examine the puppy to be sure there is not an obstruction or something more serious such as an Intussection.