Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My puppy is 4 months old and had s first set of shots he has

Customer Question

my puppy is 4 months old and had his first set of shots he has been breathing funny since this morning we took him to the vet the vet said he could he might have distemper he gave him oxygen for 5 hrs the puppy seems to be getting a bit better what else can be done
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you clarify for me what "breathing funny" implies? Were X-rays of Jango's heart and lungs performed? If so, did the X-rays reveal a pneumonia and that is why distemper was considered? If distemper is present, treatment is supportive and consists of a systemic broad spectrum antibiotic such as amoxicillin/clavulanate, nebulization and coupage if pneumonia is apparent radiographically, antidiarreals such as loperamide if necessary, antiemetics such as dolasetron if necessary, GI protectants (antacids) such as omeprazole if necessary, IV fluids to correct dehydration and electrolyte imbalances, and diazepam or midazolam if acute seizure control is needed.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jango. How is everything going?