Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

It's just the same issue. My dog shilo started to drool out

Customer Question

Hello, it's just the same issue. My dog shilo started to drool out of the right side of his mouth. He has been like this for at least and hour. Just wondering if I have to be alarmed
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well he was fine right before that. I gave him some riblets to eat and then I noticed the drooling. We opened his mouth and probed his gum line with my finger and found some blood. im thinking he either broke a tooth or cut his gum. He seems like he's feeling down. What makes me think is that he threw up clear liquid but no riblets. What could have caused that
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Did the riblets have any bone in them?

Any more gagging, retching, lip licking, or vomiting?

How much blood did you find? Any other sores or changes in the mouth?

Can he eat or drink since?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They did have bones. He is licking his lips a lot. I just found about a finger tip of blood. I didn't c any sores and I haven't seen him eat or drink either. His gums are still healthy looking. They are like a red purpleish color. No belly problems and I haven't seen diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

If there were bones and we have lip licking, drooling, and vomiting; this raises concerns of the bones being caught in the stomach or having irritated the stomach lining. In either case, we need to tread with care.

Now since you noted no belly discomfort or gum discoloration for him, we can try some supportive care to try to allay the nausea and encourage any bone material to pass. To start, we can try to reduce his nausea with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet) Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Now if he settles with the antacid, we can continue supportive care. Though if he cannot, then we'd need to think about having him seen since blockages and damage would become more of worry. Though if he can and because there is a concern that the bones are still in the stomach, we can start by feeding him a "Vaseline sandwich." This will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. And that Vaseline will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage. To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces.

Afterwards, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this bone material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. And I am concerned that the bones in this are to blame +/- a pancreatitis from the meat being fatty. Though in all causes, we’d want to use the above steps to settle his stomach, encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods. But any of those signs or if he keeps vomiting and we'd need to plan to have him checked by the local vet.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet