Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My female dog's urine smells just like fish and it's really

Customer Question

My female dog's urine smells just like fish and it's really dark.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Baby chuncks, and she's around 5yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baby?
Customer: Well she does like to lick the cats food cans.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She drinks a ton of water and is still eating well. She weighs around 50lbs and is mixed with Dodson & we think pitbull, she was a rescue when she was just a tiny baby.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on your description, we'd be most concerned that Baby has a bladder infection. When bacteria colonize the bladder, their presence and proliferation often changes the urine color and odor. As well, we can also see them straining to urinate, pass small volumes frequently and sometimes will see blood.

With this in mind, we do want to be proactive since bladder infections are quite uncomfortable and can spread to the kidneys if left. Ideally, we'd want to increase her water intake (offering fresh water, lactose free milk, canned food), adjust her urine pH (ie OTC aloe vera berry juice from your local health food store), but otherwise have her seen by her vet. They will be able to test a urine sample to confirm we have an infection while ruling out underlying issues (ie urine crystals or stones, diabetes, etc) for her increased thirst. If only an infection is present, then they can dispense antibiotics to clear it +/- dog safe pain relief to get her feeling better. And the sooner we do that, they sooner we can get her back to normal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding, and yes all the small amounts and even sometimes with a bloodish tent color, right now I've been filing for disability for over a year. I was the main bread winner and live with my daughter and 4yr old granddaughter. Does this service allow you to call in a prescription?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Unfortunately, legal requirements would prevent me from calling in prescriptions since this can only be provided by a vet that has examined her in person. Still, since funds are a concern, there are some options you can use to get antibiotics dispensed for her. If you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via: VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) or Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). That would offset the cost of having her seen and you'd only have to pay for the medication. Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** need to text you back concerning this her in the next few hours.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

That is fine. Though as I am due to see my own patients soon, please note that I may be delayed in replying (but will do so as soon as I am able). :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet