Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My male cocker spaniel is 14 years old. He recently had

Customer Question

My male cocker spaniel is 14 years old. He recently had surgery on hind leg his Bo e came out of his hip socket. He's recovered well. Since then We moved across country and his spirits are good and so is his appetite. He has however been losing weight. 3-5 lbs and his frame is smaller. We are walking more often but not enough to lose 5 or lbs in 3 months.
What type of problems could he have thanks
Katherine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has he been eating and drinking normally? More or less of either?

Have you noticed any diarrhea or him passing more (possibly dilute/watery urine)?

When was he last wormed?

Does his belly look larger despite him looking thin over the top of his frame?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been eating mad drinking normal. Urine same.
He hasn't been wormed
His stomach looks normal size
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Katherine.

Now I share your concern about how much weight he has lost in such a short space of time. Especially if he has continued to eat normally and hasn't had any diarrhea. The reason is because this raises concerns of an internal issue stealing weight from him (and likely causing muscle wasting secondarily). Common causes for this in dogs his age are diabetes, kidney and liver disease. As well, while not nice to even think about, we can see weight loss despite a great appetite as a sign of cancer (where it steals nutrition but causes little other bother) in dog's his age.

With these all in mind and since he has no external signs, it'd be ideal to have a check up at this stage. If he is due a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up so the local vet can have a feel of him to rule out sinister lumps and bumps. At the same time, do consider having a geriatric blood panel don to rule out those organ issues for him. And while worms rarely cause serious weight loss in adult dogs, if he hasn't been wormed in a while it would ne ideal to do so now to rule them out.

Finally, since he is losing despite eating well, I would note that we can try to help counter this by offering food that is more nutrient dense then what he is on currently. Specifically, you could use a critical care diet (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, etc) or even offer puppy food. Each have more nutrients per bite and could just get more calories into him to fight this weight loss.

Overall, his weight loss is a subtle yet significant sign. Therefore, if he has lost this much so quickly and there are no signs to explain why, we do have to be wary of those other issues. Therefore, a check would be ideal here to uncover what is silently stealing this weight so that we can nip it in the bud as quickly as possible and get some weight back on him.

Finally, if you don't have a local vet yet and wanted to see what vet practices are near you, you can check at http://www.vetlocator.com/

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.
Hi Katherine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet