Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My name is ***** ***** My 11mo shih tzu is acting different.

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** My 11mo shih tzu is acting different. For the last week...ever since getting all her hair cut due to matting... She's sleeping too much... shaking... not playing as much or at all... she want eat or drink...she vomit yellowish vomit
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's been sleeping under the covers lately. I just held her up and she could barely keep her eyes open
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has she been vomiting all week?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She got into a new pack of deli cheese on Saturday. My husband left the grocery bag on the floor.She's been chewing on a new rubbery bone (I forgot the name of it...it was recommended by Banfield). It's not plastic.Her last poop...last night was partial runny and solid. The first time for her since we rescued her 5 months ago.Her gums are pink. She doesn't seem to have discomfort on her tummy. Her bare skin areas near her vagina seems warm?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She won't drink water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Based on her signs, we'd be concerned about an ongoing GI issue affecting both the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract. Her sleeping, shivering and warmth on bare skin all suggest that we may have a fever with this. And with all this in mind, we'd be most wary of a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis +/- a pancreatitis (especially with her having had a big dose of cheese on Saturday).

With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and help if we have an inflamed pancreas. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, if those stools were very runny and as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for your lass's current signs. Since she sounds feverish as well, infectious agents and pancreatitis would be our two main concerns (where dietary indiscretion or harmful ingestion would be less likely). Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since this sounds to have been going on a wee while and her immune system is struggling); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, check for fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you! Right now her Banfield plan is deactivated. I can't afford to renew it tight now. Can I take her to the vet usely associated with my local shelter or humane society for free or discounted care?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome,

If your local shelter offers walk-in care, then that would be an option. Otherwise, you could consider checking out the HumaneSociety's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html)or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills).Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistanceorganizations, that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet