Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Is it safe to give a puppy safeguard cattle 10% fenbendazole

Customer Question

Is it safe to give a puppy safeguard cattle 10% fenbendazole instead of panacur? What's the difference? Is it legal and why?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As a substitute to Panacur , what's the difference?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Fenbendazole is fenbendazole. You just need to pay attention to the concentration. Panacur for dogs is 22.2% fenbendazole which equals 222 mg/gram of product. 10% fenbendazole equals 100 mg/gram of product. Dogs are dosed at 22.7 mg/lb daily for three consecutive days when wormed as pups. 22.7 mg/lb = 0.227 grams of a 10% product/lb of body weight.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to get a prescription for it? I know I can purchase it with out a RX , but is it against Veternary practice to give it to dogs instead of goats?

No, these are over the counter products and we commonly prescribe products designed for large animals to small and vice versa. Please continue our conversation if you wish.