Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

We have an 11week GSD puppy who has a weepy eye, runny nose

Customer Question

We have an 11week GSD puppy who has a weepy eye, runny nose and is drooling excessively. He literally wakes up in a pool of (clear) liquid..
Otherwise completely normal. Normal urine and poo. Lively. No vomit etc. Is it just teething or something more serious?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Oral pain is certainly a common cause of ptyalism (increased salivation) and so teething is a reasonable possibility. Please note that such ptyalism isn't a consistent finding in teething dogs and so I'd be more comfortable knowing that his vet took a good look into your puppy's oral cavity for signs of trauma or infection.

Teething wouldn't explain the weepy eye or runny nose. Can you tell me, please, if the discharge from his eye and nose is clear, mucusy, or discolored?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Totally clear and thin. Just looks like water
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he's eating normally

Thank you. That's a good sign and more indicative of an irritant than infection. Look closely at his weepy eye - preferably with a magnifying glass - and check if the eyelids and eyelashes look just as they do as in his other eye. Check the cornea - the clear window of the eye - and see if there is any clouding or redness that isn't present in his other eye. Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No clouding or red. Just damp fur in a line from his eye.
He's damp most other places too from where he rests his soaking chin!

I can imagine! Thank you for checking for me. Is he due for his first puppy exam, vaccines and worming? That's a good time to have his eye, nose, and mouth checked. Eyes concern me most because they can "go south" in a hurry. If you brought him to me I would make sure to stain the affected eye's cornea with fluoroscein to see if it were scratched, abraded, or ulcerated. Epiphora (excessive tearing), a "drippy" nose, and ptyalism are all autonomic signs which can be seen with gastrointestinal distress - nausea, acid reflux, e.g. His tearing from just the one eye, however, wouldn't be expected if the epiphora were an autonomic sign. As you can see, it's best that his vet take a close look at those areas. I'm handicapped by being so far away and frustrated that I don't get to see such a cute - albeit "wet" - pup.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.