Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

Not certain but neurologist put my tripod golden on

Customer Question

Not certain but neurologist put my tripod golden on pednisone and gabapentin 600 mg a day last August . What is the correct way to take her off of this? We took her off Prednisone in December because something caused her to go deaf. Golden is 13
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with Golden?
Customer: We never did a expensive MRI because treatment would probably be the same. After 12 months as a tripod she was no longer able to walk although does not seem to be in much pain anymore. Hard to tell. I give her 1 tramidol 50mg every night before bedtime.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes leg appears to be ok. Cancer was the reason we amputated other leg
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Golden?
Customer: No other that she is very depressed right now because she lost her buddy my husband last month to cancer and since she can no longer hear and does not know where he is she is a mess emotionally . You can imagine.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I understand you have a geriatric tripod pet that you wish to wean off of Gabapentin and Prednisone. I can give the correct way to wean off of these medications but I will also caution that tit is best to discuss this with your veterinarian because these medications may still be recommended for your pet to stay on.

Gabapentin tapering recommandations usually occur over 2 weeks time. 1/2 of the current dosage for the next week, then 1/2 of that dosage for the following week, then the medication can be stopped. We typically recommend tapering this medication to help avoid the potential for seizures if taken off the medication too fast.

The proper way to wean a pet off of Prednisone depends on their current dosing, so please let me know how much and how often you are giving this medication currently. (we recommend tapering of Prednisone to avoid causing advert effects on the adrenal glands).

- Dr. H