Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

Diarrhea since Thursday, went to the vet Friday was put on

Customer Question

Diarrhea since Thursday, went to the vet Friday was put on antibiotics, and a fluid iv..We brought him home that evening with continued diarrhea all weekend took him back to the vet Monday, put back on an IV and a diffecternt anti diarrhea med and antibiotic, stayed the night the VET hav=s done blood work, xrays, and now the diarrhea is bright green. The vet is stumped...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Royce, 10 years old Italian Greyhound
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Royce?
Customer: Not really
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear that Royce is having continuous diarrhea that is not responsive to antibiotic treatment. This can mean several things. Your pet does not have antibiotic responsive diarrhea, there is an underlying disease process that has not been identified, or there are intestinal parasites there that have not been treated for.

I can help point with additional recommendations to help Royce but it would help a ton if I could review the bloodwork and x-ray results that were done already to provide additional input if the vet is stumped. Most vets will offer this information over to the owner at your request.

Also if there are absolutely no abnormalities on the x-ray or bloodwork results, then I would suspect either a malabsorption problem (testing the Cobalamin/Folate levels is recommended to detect) or an intestinal mass would high on my list as possibilities. Therefore the next best diagnostic test to run would be the Cobalamin/Folate and an abdominal ultrasound to get a 3-D image of the intestines to look for small lesions that wouldn't necessarily show up well on an x-ray.

- Dr. H

Hello this is Dr. H again. I see you had a chance to review my reply to your question. I wanted to check back in to ensure you didn't wish to continue the conversation we started yesterday or if you felt the information received was a good recommendation for you to take to your vet to pursue other possibilities with Royce.

If the information you received was helpful I would ask that you please leave me a rating by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button at the top of your screen as this is how I am credited for taking the time to assist you with your pet concerns on yesterday. Thanks for your feedback and consideration and I hope you are closer to finding out the cause of Royce's chronic diarrhea.

Best regards,

Dr. H