Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

He has a skin infection that has caused m to lose s hair in

Customer Question

He has a skin infection that has caused him to lose his hair in spots. He weighs about 5lbs.I have 500mg cipro tablets. How small would they need to be cut to give him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No. Just very uncomfortable and scratching all the time.
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Danger and 8 months. He's my sons dog.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Danger?
Customer: No. He's a happy dog. He plays all the time. He's got hair loss and itchy. He does have a few places that look like they could bleed but they havent
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I ams sorry to hear you are worried about your dog's skin. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Ciprofloxacin is not well absorbed in dogs, and is usually not used because because of this. If it is not absorbed, it won't fight an infection in the skin. Also, it would be nearly impossible to break a 500 mg tablet small enough for a 5 pound dog, that would less than 1/10 of a tablet to give a safe but probably not effective dose. Cipro is just not a good option for a skin infection especially in such a small dog.

Is he itchy? Hair loss can be from skin parasites, or allergies, which antibiotics would not treat.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your answer and time. I would like to have my $14 refunded seeing as how your advertisement stated there be a $5 charge and that was all I gave permission for. There was mo indication an additional $14 would be taken off of my card. As I said before please refund my $14 immediately. Thanks
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry, I just answer questions about pets and veterinary medicine. I do not know anything about deposits, payments and I can't give refunds.

You can contact the moderators using the drop down menu, they can explain charges, and give refunds.

You are welcome; I am glad my answer was helpful.