Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our dog went in teeth cleaning and had a bad reaction to the

Customer Question

Our dog went in for routine teeth cleaning and had a bad reaction to the pre anesthesia sedative. She has not eaten without being force fed since Saturday the 12th. She drinks water but is not eating. Now today she is vomiting and diarrhea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Digest what? MooShu is her name.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about MooShu?
Customer: She is a shar-pei. 7 Years old. I don't have her full history because she was a rescue.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Because an adverse drug reaction to a pre-anesthetic sedative isn't expected to cause anorexia lasting 10 days, MooShu's persistent anorexia may be due to that drug's causing renal or hepatic toxicity which can be determined by performing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Can you tell me, please, if such testing has been performed and, if so, can you upload a copy of those test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but MooShu's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Alternatively, a pre-existing disorder existed prior to administration of the sedative which may or may not have been indicated by pre-anesthetic testing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They have not been done. They only got so far as the pre-anesthesia sedative and could not find a vein on her to do any blood work or put her under. So we picked her up and she has been like this since. She was put on a medication to try to relieve any inflammation that might be happening as well as any fluid retention (it was thought by the vet that she might have fluid around her brain). She willingly ate a little bit of food (spoon fed) 2 days ago. She goes to her food (or any food) like she wants to eat but doesn't. She then tries to bury her food. None of this happened before this sedative was administered. It was like we picked up a different dog. No vomiting or diarrhea until last night but she has had swelling of the white of her eye (she only has one eye) since we picked her up as well.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We have an appointment with a specialist in the morning but I don't want her to die overnight if this is dire. Is there anything we can do for the vomiting and diarrhea to sustain her until the morning?
And should we ask any specific questions at her appointment tomorrow?

The diagnostics are essential and may well tell you why MooShu is currently so inappetent. If pre-operative diagnostics weren't performed and abnormal values are found in her testing, however, we're not going to know if she suffered from a pre-existing condition or the preanesthetic were responsible. Such testing will be performed by the specialist. You needn't ask that it be done.

It's difficult to manage a vomiting dog at home. Anything you give by mouth is likely to come back up. The only emetic available over the counter is dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) which can be dosed at 2-4 mg/lb every 8 hours. Keeping her hydrated is important. See if you can administer frequent but small doses of an infant fluid and electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte by means of a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. You can't replace her entire daily requirement of fluid and electrolytes in this manner but every little bit helps. Her caloric intake isn't as important at this time.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. I will try those things this evening to get her to the appointment tomorrow. I appreciate your help.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.