Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has very fluid stools and is not eating

Customer Question

my dog has very fluid stools and is not eating
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions, though to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

When was the last time she ate?

Any blood in the stool?

Any vomiting?

Any recent change in diet, new treats, given human food, gotten into the trash or swallowed anything else?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no vomiting; we've tried to keep her from trash.....about 15 hours I couldn't see blood in her stool she's also a little lethargic
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
she's had a new doggie treat.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the information. I will be right with you.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

It is possible that it could be the new treat that is causing the diarrhea. I am a little concerned about her not eating, though. When you see lack of appetite and/or vomiting, then it is possible you may be dealing with something more serious like a partial gastrointestinal obstruction, pancreatic problems or liver problems (to name a few). There isn't a lot you can give at home for diarrhea that would be considered safe in all circumstances. Give a little canned pumpkin or Metamucil for fiber may help. You can try boneless, skinless chicken breast and plain rice (brown or white). Pepto Bismol is usually safe, unless there is a stomach ulcer (look at website below). Probably not the case here. Usually if they are not eating or are vomiting, though, I would recommend having your vet check them out to make sure nothing more serious is going on. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hi Myron,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoey. How is everything going?
Dr. John