Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We adopted her only three weeks ago, so 't have a great

Customer Question

We adopted her only three weeks ago, so don't have a great health history as she was picked up from a shelter....but here goes. She is approximately five years old and a boxer/bulldog mix. She has not been overly energetic ever, but last night she wouldn't wake up and was somewhat shaking....not really shaking but like one random harder than normal shake of her body at random times. she wouldn't eat or drink, but did walk outside (pretty far as we are in an apartment) to use the bathroom. She was like this all night, then this morning seemed normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Piper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Piper?
Customer: She has been suffering from really bad allergies and is scratching all the time. I have been giving benydryl 3x per day per vet instructions...yesterday she only had one dose
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Piper. Not being able to be roused ("she wouldn't wake up") concomitant with the "shaking" you witnessed suggests encephalopathy (brain disorder). You may have witnessed a complex partial seizure that didn't abate for quite some time. This would be considered a form of status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity often doesn't abate until I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient.

What was the dose of the Benadryl prescribed to Piper, please? I need to rule out a possible adverse drug reaction.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is taking (2) 25mg tablets 30 per day....however yesterday she only had the morning dose.

Thank you for the additional information. That's the maximum dose recommended and not likely to be contributory to her behavior. Her vet needs to know what you saw last night and you need to log this event on your calendar. Should the behavior return, seizure activity is likely. A complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) is defined as focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity involving any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. When seizures first rise between the age of 1-5 years, idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy is most often diagnosed.

I'm concerned that Piper was clustering - suffering more than one seizure within a 24 hour period. This can presage status epilepticus as i mentioned above. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Piper'svet will need all the information you can gather before deciding if anticonvulsant medication should be prescribed. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) seizure monthly before considering anticonvulsive drugs.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. It is the first thing I thought of as well as I once had a dog that had cluster grand mal seizures (9-12 at a time once or twice a week) starting at 9 months old....what Piper did was different....more like Spooky ' s post seizure exhaustion....I feared this would be the case. Darn! Thank you.

You're quite perceptive. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you I will.

I appreciate it!